Vegan chocolate mousse is the raw dessert everyone needs in their fridge. It’s creamy, nourishing, and can easily be passed off as one of the traditional decadent varieties. No one will know its fruit-based or that it’s filled with an abundance of nutrients.
There are a couple of ingredients that help that along and what they are might surprise you. Avocado and banana anyone?
Chocolate mousse usually contains chocolate, butter, eggs, cream and sugar. Absolutely luscious of course however, not something you want to have too often. (Fun fact – the traditional chocolate mousse was first mentioned as far back as 1750!).
This vegan chocolate mousse on the other hand, contains ingredients that are health promoting. That means you can enjoy it as often as you like. The avocado and banana go surprisingly well together too. And in fact, it’s these two ingredients above all that create the creaminess and sweetness that makes a mousse perfect.
My husband is an ardent avocado despiser and yet, he has absolutely no idea it’s in this dessert. Ha! Let’s not ever tell him that.
So, this vegan chocolate mousse is healthy?
Yes indeed… music to a chocolate lover’s ears. The health benefits are many and varied making this a wonderful dish to include in your weekly meal plans. It is:
- Rich in fibre and protein
- An excellent source of monounsaturated fat, along with the fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K (good for vision support, immune support, bone maintenance, antioxidants)
- A good source of vitamin C and the Bs (particularly folate)
- An excellent source of potassium and magnesium
- Anti-inflammatory thanks to its many and varied phytonutrients
Steps for making vegan chocolate mousse
There are really only two simple steps here, making it the easiest dessert ever!
Throw everything into your blender and combine until smooth.
Spoon into small bowls and chill for a couple of hours before serving. Done!
Most importantly – you must ensure that you use both a very ripe banana and avocado. Your vegan chocolate mousse will be much less sweet and creamy if you don’t. And we don’t want that!
If you’d like to make another nourishing raw dessert… Take a look at my Raw Doughnuts with Coconut Cream Glaze. They’re equally divine.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 30 g cacao powder
- ⅓ cup coconut cream (the very thick cream from the top of the can)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup (or more, less to your tastes)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Place all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth. It takes less than a minute!
- Spoon into two small bowls and refrigerate for an hour or two. You can eat it straight away too, but I think it's much nicer chilled.